Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Another FO!

So I have a confession to make. I took this off the needles in December. But I didn't seam it. You see, I've only really seamed one item before - and it was a test knit pattern that I still can't talk about (But really really soon!). And the way I seamed it worked out fine (I think), but it wasn't "right."

For Christmas mom gave me the Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques. Wow. What a great book! And the title is deceptive - it's not just finishing in here - she covers all the basics - casting on and off, increasing and decreasing, and of course, finishing. Since I had to get this done so I could gift it, I sat down Thursday night with the book and a Dr. Pepper.

First of all, Nancy Wiseman writes in a way that is amazingly easy to understand. None of this assuming you know the secret langauge stuff. I decided I would seam up the shoulders Thursday night. What a difference it makes to do it "correctly!" I could really see how this makes the garment better and is surprisingly easy. Now, mind you, I'll have to do this next time with the book right next to me, and probably the next 5 times after that too!


Pretty?


Friday morning I got up early and got my coffee and sat down for some sleeve seaming. Trickier. But still not too bad. The first side went really well (from the center of the sleeve to the left), but when I went back to the middle to do the right, it didn't seem to be working out quite the same way. When I got almost to the end of the second sleeve I figured it out - I was putting the yarn in from right to left on the body portion, and then drawing the yarn diagonally across to seam from right to left on the sleeve. This caused some stress on the sleeve and showed in funny lines. I had intended to have photo documentation for this event, but I ran out of time. However, I think that the funniness in the sleeve won't matter overall, and really, I don't think a non-knitter would notice it.

I also seamed up the sides successfully. Woot!

Ready for a photo?



Details

Pattern: Pure & Simple from August 2005 Simply Knitting
Yarn: Lion Brand Baby Soft - almost one whole skein.
Needles: Clover US 5 Bamboo Circ
Dates: Started and finished in fall/early winter 2005
Mods: None
Thoughts: An easy pattern, but not entirely well-written. A lot of the finishing is left to the "imagination" for a "simple" pattern. I would have been lost without my book. I also found that the fronts and back are not the same size, something that became glaringly evident when I tried to seam them together. I worked it out, but still. I also found that the area where you begin to decrease for the neckline cause a pucker that I can't seem to get rid of. I also did not add the snaps the pattern called for, because I didn't see them listed until just now! Argh!



I also seemed to have hit a wall in my Olympic training. I sat down and swatched with my Knitpicks Merino Style, and after getting gauge, logged on to order my yarn. Yeah, except they're out of black until the MIDDLE OF MARCH! So I spent way too much time last night looking up alternatives, and found two - Misti Baby Alpaca Sport and Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. I tried to order the DB this morning from Little Knits, but you have to place a $25 minimum order. Argh! So I went by the yarn store this afternoon, and they are out of the black! Argh! Is this a sign that I should withdraw? NO!

The current plan is to wait until tomorrow, when I get my sock pal match, and, when I determine what yarn I want to use/they want me to use, I will go shop/order online, and try to work something out wherever I get that yarn from. I just hope I can get it in time if I order it. Just a wee bit frustrated now!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful job with the sweater! I hate seaming with a passion, so whenever possible I do a 3 needle bind-off for the shoulders. You might want to try that sometime for speed and ease.

    Sorry about the black yarn crisis - if I had some I would send it to you! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great - isn't Wiseman's book great? It's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Baby Sweater is beautiful! Gorgeous seams, too. ;-) I'm so envious of your Nancy Wiseman book! I'm so terrible at finishing projects... I really need to invest in that book. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you with the black yarn situation. Take care! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone, great sweater! I can't believe the sew fast sew easy stitch and bitch thing. Ugh. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete