Sunday, October 29, 2006

V is for Vera

Bradley, that is.


Long time readers may remember that I am from the home of Vera Bradley. Mom, sis and I have been shopping their annual sale for years. We each have quite a collection




And this isn't everything - I didn't empty all the bags/zipper cases/etc that were currently in use.



I love the Vera Bradley. I do think it is a *bit* expensive, but when I'm not paying full price, it seems SO much more reasonable. My pieces have mostly held up very well - my ballet bag from middle/high school has a lot of wear on the shoulder straps, but it's not too much, especially considering that I carried it every day to and from the studio.

My overall favorite items would have to be the little accessories. They are great for so many uses. My ipod lives in one. I have one stuffed with purse "necessities" like chapstick, gum, mints and advil, so that when I change purses (often daily), I don't have to dump everything. Others hold knitting notions, makeup, markers for grading papers, pens/pencils/highlighters for teaching, etc.

Several years ago, when Vera Bradley wasn't as popular outside of the midwest, mom and I would get 'excited' to see one "in the wild." It still is a bit of a game with me - to see them out and about. People here in Texas don't carry them as much, but they are popular with the sorority set these days. Hubbo has even caught on, and came home from work one day several months ago and told me that a woman in his check-out line was carrying a Vera Bradley purse. "Did you tell her that you knew it was Vera Bradley?" "NO!"

I do have a bit of a collection, but I switch purses a lot, and I often drag several bags around. When I was in school I carried a teaching bag, a lunch bag, a purse, a knitting bag, my gym bag, and my backpack/tote bag every day. Now I don't carry as many, but I still get in a few Vera bags every now and again. They are especially handy if you need to take several things, but also need to carry a purse, but don't have much space to lock up a purse. Carry a larger Vera bag, tuck your purse inside and you can just pull out your purse to lock it up. Ask me how I know this.

Hubbo rolls his eyes at the sight of my collection, but I just know, if bicycles cost as much as Vera bags, he'd have just as many of them.

Best thing about Vera bags? They make great knitting bags!

7 comments:

  1. I love Vera Bradley too! I've got a modest collection. If I lived close to the annual sale, I'd go crazy. As it is, I'm always paying full price, those few times I actually can buy VB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for V -- you've really been on a roll lately with the ABC Along photos, and I love seeing each new post. That said, I'm not super hard on bags but I find that I can only have a Vera for a couple of seasons before it starts to wear too much. I used to get a discount at a country club shop, but now I have to pay full price. New England is a great place to sight VB bags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:41 AM

    OMG.
    I'm jealous I only have one VB bag.

    Vera Bradley bags are a common sight in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:28 PM

    Oh my lord I got weak in the knees just looking at it all. You are one lucky girl. I agree that it is much better to buy an expensive bag that lasts than a bunch of cheap ones that have to be thrown out after a few months. But still, you have quite a collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:25 PM

    I can't decide if you have more or I do. I think maybe you do, but it's close. I at least have sold some of my used stuff, which was lying fallow, on ebay but still, I am one crazed outlet sale shopper, one of these days I'll have to cut back a bit. I now have two bags I paid retail for. a crime. I spread mine out and hide it in bins so it doesn't seem so shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:45 PM

    What a great post! I don't have any VB bags myself, but I do see a lot of them where I live, and it looks like they'd make great knitting bags!

    Does your husband have a lot of cycling gear? Mine's not too bad. I bought him a giant bag for our anniversary and it holds everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gotta tell you I love Vera Bradley bags etc!! You have a fantastic collection like I have never seen before. You could open up your own VB store.LOL I was just looking in a store today at the solid brown one that you have! Love that bag!

    ReplyDelete