Thursday, January 16, 2014

Wonky Star 16 patch: Tutorial

Welcome! Today I am going to share how I made the wonky star 16 patch blocks I used in my Wonky Star  Sketch quilt.



Materials: 5 squares for your star, 15 squares for your background (one FQ is plenty, depending on how big you want your stars).
For this tutorial, I cut all my squares to 2.5", but in the quilt they were 3.5." 3.5" squares will give you a 12.5" finished block.


Take 4 of the squares for your star, and cut them in half on the diagonal.

Place one triangle on a background square, right sides facing. This is where your 'wonky' come in - you can place it at any angle you like, just be sure that after you sew a 1/4" seam your star point covers your background fabric.

Repeat for three more squares. Press star points open. Now you will sew the other star point on each of the four background squares. 

Check that you will cover the background fabric, sew a 1/4" seam and press open. 


You should have 4 blocks that look like this. Now you will trim the excess fabric. 


I turn my block over, and trim following the background square. If your background square is darker than your star points fabric, you may want to trim your background square after you have trimmed the excess fabric from the point. Be sure to leave a 1/4 seam where you sewed your point down.

Now you get to lay out your block. 

I like to build my star first, and then fill in background fabric around it. 


The great thing about this block is that you can lay it out this way, and then turn the block after your rows are sewn together to have your stars appear in different corners! 






Sew your blocks into rows, and press your seams in opposite directions or open, depending on your preference. Sew your rows together and voila! You have a wonky star 16 patch! Make more and make a quilt! If you want to make a quilt like mine, you will need a FQ of each background fabric (I used 20), and 1 yard of star fabric. This would be a fun block to make scrappy as well! 

Please let me know if you have any questions! I would love to see blocks you make using this tutorial!








No comments:

Post a Comment