Tuesday, April 23, 2013

KCW Spring 2013: Day 1

Kid's Clothing Week started yesterday and I already feel behind! Last year I had lists and had everything cut well ahead of time. I did pull fabrics and patterns last week, but was feeling frustrated about matching fabric to patterns. Admittedly, part of my problem is that I buy fabrics I like and don't necessarily have a plan for what to make with them. This usually ends up meaning that I don't have enough fabric to make anything. I eventually managed to match up a few things. I'm not making nearly as many items as I did last fall, but the girls don't really need anything - several of their dresses from last spring  and summer still fit, which is nice!

New tee and shorts

Ben needs the most - as the first boy he doesn't have many hand me downs. I purchased several cute half yards of fabrics the last time I was at my LQS and I had a few stashed away. I wanted to make a short version of the Quick Change Trousers. However, I wanted it to be shorts, and not have the double thickness since it gets so hot here. So I drafted a pattern based on the pants and a pair of his shorts that fit well. I added 1.5" to the top and bottom of my pattern to allow for a hem and elastic casing (you don't hem the pants more than a 1/4" and the elastic casing is inserted between the two pairs so you don't have to allow extra fabric to fold down for a casing). I figured that if this pair didn't come out great they could be pjs! However, I think they look pretty good! I'm a little concerned that they aren't long enough through the crotch, but hopefully we'll be potty trained before the end of the summer and then he'll have plenty of room.

His shirt is the Envelope Tee from Growing Up Sew Liberated. I've made it before, but wanted to lengthen the 18-24 month size in hopes that it would fit all summer! I used this pattern before by using one of my old shirts (which I guess I didn't blog). I have several old nice quality tshirts from Banana Republic and the Gap which are too short in the torso for me. With the one last summer I was easily able to get all of the pattern pieces cut from one shirt. With a larger size shirt, I had to get creative. So I cut the sleeves off the shirt (they are all short sleeved) and used that for Ben's sleeves! Even less hemming! I also lengthened the shirt by an inch by placing the pattern piece above the hem and then not having to hem. Again, this one was a trial run - I wasn't sure if using my sleeves for his sleeves would work, but it did! I've got a stack of shirts ready to be repurposed!

Pretty as a Picture Dress

I cut the pattern pieces for the Pretty as a Picture Dress from Handmade Beginnings for Ellie last fall, but decided that she didn't need any more dresses at the time and I didn't have a piece of fabric for the focus fabric that I loved. I received the sheep print in a fat 1/8"s bundle and have been saving it for something cute. I used the leftover pink floral fabric from the girl's Valentine's Dresses (also unblogged!). I think it came out pretty cute, and is just the right size! If I made it again the one thing I would do would be to serge the seam between the bodice and skirt before I sewed in the elastic - it's a bit messy.

Simplicity 2377

Finally I made Samantha a new dress. I used Simplicity 2377 and made a size five. It is plenty big around and just a touch short - not too short but it probably will be before too long. I left off the ties in the back, and inserted all the elastic at the end, instead of as you go like the pattern directs. I also serged the seams between the tiers of fabric.  All the fabric is from the Alexander Henry farmdale collection. I really loved it and waited too long to buy it. My JoAnn's had these prints and the green crosshatch. I had just enough of each print to make this dress. I'd say it was a good use of fabric! It has already passed the twirling test! :)

Of course, it is too cold here today to wear summer clothes, so these will have to wait. I've got plans for more shirts for Ben, more shorts and matching Seashore Sundresses for the girls to sew up today! Maybe some popover sundresses will sneak in there too!


  1. Wow! Very cute and talented. I'm teaching a cousin to sew this Friday by making a sun dress for her 2year old. I've not sewn clothes since my early 20's.... so we shall see how it turns out!

  2. Everything is so cute! You've got talent :)

  3. On dresses that are too short on me, I've been known to add very wide eyelet lace trim (4" or so) - would be cute on a kids'dress too!