I knew I had to make Samantha a first day of school outfit. After all, I made her this one last year.
I had purchased this fabric a few years ago, and had been hoarding it (as I tend to do), for the perfect project. I didn't want to spend any more money this month, so I was glad I remembered that I had this in the stash.
Samantha insisted that Ellie have a matching dress, but I didn't make her model hers. I still need to make her matching bloomers too (we like to rip our diaper off if we can!).
I used this free pattern, which was fine. Since most of the dress is rectangles (you do cut a curve for the armhole), it was pretty straightforward. The only tricky part was the ruffle. I hadn't sewn a ruffle before, but I had read about it. The problem I had was that I followed their directions, which have you sew one long basting line around the ruffle fabric. Everything else I have read about ruffles says to sew two rows. I should have listened to my gut, as my thread broke, and I had to resew it, and while I was resewing my basting line, I ran out of bobbin! Grrr! But I sewed two lines on each side of the ruffle, and it was SO much easier. Ellie's ruffle came together very quickly, since I learned from Samantha's!
I'll use this pattern again - I think it would be cute with contrasting sleeves and ruffles!