Friday, March 08, 2013

FO Friday: Modern Maples

I am so excited to have this quilt finished! I started it back in the fall, and then it was put aside while I made Christmas gifts. Cleaning up the sewing room after the holidays I came across it and wanted to finish it. I had the perfect backing and binding fabric in my stash too - it was kismet!  (And just enough batting to get it done without buying more!)

Modern Maples

The pattern is by Amanda and appears in Pretty in Patchwork Holidays (which is a great book!). I modified the pattern to have the leaves come out smaller - I didn't have quite enough of some of the prints I wanted to use and I was trying to use things from my stash. My leaves finished at 9 1/2" instead of 12 1/2". I had to have my engineer brother-in-law help me do the math for the stem bit, but we got it figured out!

There are a lot of Denyse Schmidt prints in this quilt - she has such great oranges! I tried to keep to a fall color scheme, and I don't have really any red or yellow prints in my stash (I'm getting more!), so orange and brown with a bit of green it was. Some of my favorite prints are in here - and I used up almost all of them!

Back of Modern Maples

The backing is dots from Moda's Sweetwater Make Life collection from a few years ago. I had bought several yards when my LQS was moving and having a big sale, and I've been hoarding it since then! The chevron stripe and binding are leftovers from a custom order I made in December and I love them with the dots. (The chevron is Riley Blake).

I love this fall quilt - fall is my favorite season and this is a great reminder of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment