Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Knits that don't fit

I finished Vanessa. I am not happy.



From the front, not too bad. Looks a little big and gappy.



From the side you see more bagginess. Yuck.



And the back is just a disaster.




Pattern: Vanessa from Rowan RYC Classic Art.
Yarn: RYC Luxury Cotton DK in Damsel - 9 skeins
Needles: Sz 6 Clover Circulars.
Dates: April to June 30 for main body. July for additional ribbing and seaming.
Mods: I knit a larger size for the ribbing. This is what I think caused the huge bagginess. It also came out wayyyyyyyy too short, so I knit and added on 3 more inches of ribbing.
Thoughts: The yarn was delightful. Soft and pretty - very nice to work with. The pattern was fine, even for a Rowan pattern, though it never tells you to make 2 sleeves. I understand that it's implied, but c'mon.


It is way too big in the bust, even though I followed the measurements for the 36" bust for all but the ribbing. The ribbing is not attached in an attractive way, hence the "ribbon" of extra yarn to cover up the seam.

If I didn't know about the bagginess in the back I might wear it. I might still wear it, since I made it, darn it! But as hubbo said, "It's not your best look." Le sigh.

It is hiding in the closet now, for the foreseeable future. Em, if you want to try it on you have to come to Texas! :)

I can't decide if I am up to ripping it. Maybe after the disappointment wears off. Grrrr.

13 comments:

  1. Bummer - so disappointing to do all that work and end up with something you're not happy with. Sleep on it -- there may be some way to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish it were possible to have the magical vision needed to see what a WIP will look like when finished, so that you could have ripped sooner. The again, some designs will never look good, regardless of what size you make. At least you found out you like that yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very disappointing. I've had several of those types of disappointing projects lately, so you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is too bad! All that work!

    However, I was a seamstress before I became a knitter, and I think I know how you can fix it; is there any way you can block the heck out of the ribbed section? The rest of the sweater wouldn't bulge if the ribbing were loosened. Then, once the ribbing's loosened enough, if you still think it's too "bulgy" on the top, hand sew in some darts with the leftover yarn. I think you can easily find instructions about darts on the web. You'd be surprised how awesome darts can make a top look!

    Hope you can salvage your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:57 AM

    Sweaters are always a crapshoot!! I feel so lucky and blessed when they fit! Before ripping, I would try what Rachel said - Block out the ribbing so it doesn't pull in and see what happens. I bet it feels oh so soft with the cotton/rayon/silk and the soft pink is wonderful - good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:29 AM

    Oh no! I'm so sorry it didn't turn out they way you would have liked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm. Yeah, I have to agree, it's not the most flattering garment. Pretty, yes, but if I were you I'd probably wait a bit to ease the pain and then rip that sucker. The yarn is too nice to just sit in your closet forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nuisance, after all that knitting! I was going to suggest you wear a blazer over it, that would hide the extra room in the back... but then Rachel's advice is so wise I think I'll just shut up now! Commiserations anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the worst - all the work and no good outcome. Found you from Ravelry as we apparently have similar tastes in patterns - you do have great taste I must say!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh! That's too bad. Maybe if you wore a shirt underneath it would minimize it a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmm, if Rachel's advise doesn't work, it looks to me like the back non-ribbed part is too long for you, if that's separate, can you knit it a bit shorter? maybe the whole thing should be 'shorter' in teh shoulder area (but then that would mess up the sleeve fit, right). oh, sorry it's such a pain. all that pretty work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so sad. But ripping might be the better part of valor here. It's a lovely color yarn.

    ReplyDelete