Thursday, May 30, 2013

Charity Quilts

As part of the FWMQG, we are collecting quilts for the kids at the YWCA daycare to use as napmats. Many of the children who participate in their daycare are homeless, and this is a nice way for them to have something handmade, with love, to rest upon. They are currently napping on towels, so I am so excited for us to be giving these to them!

I made two quilts - I had the girl quilt top done, then my mom of boys guilt got to me, and I had to make one for boys to use too!


The girls quilt features a number of leftover prints from Samantha's big girl quilt, and a lot of other scraps I thought were 'girly.'  I cut squares into different widths - 2", 3" and 4", and sewed vertical rows together. I quilted it using vertical straight lines.


The boy's quilt features a number of leftover prints from making Samantha's best friend's quilt (which I finally have a picture of - hopefully I will get a post up about that one this week!), and some other scraps leftover from taggies and burp cloths from my etsy shop. I trimmed all the blocks to the same height, and sewed rows together. I quilted this one with horizontal straight lines.

Both quilts measure about 24"x36". We had to machine sew the binding on for extra sturdiness, and it was good practice for me! I am glad to have these checked off my to do list!

No comments:

Post a Comment