Monday, January 19, 2009

Bad week

I really had good intentions about blogging more. I was waylaid by lack of pictures (darn that winter early darkness!) last week, and by sickness of The Bug and myself. (Luckily, she's getting better, while I'm getting worse - lovely).
But the real blow to the week was the news late Saturday night that my second home and part of my heart, my LYS was closing. 
Hubby walked in after putting The Bug down for the night to find me crying. When I told him the news he said "I thought someone had died." And I do feel like something has died. The shop was a refuge for me, a place where I have made some amazing friendships. A place where I learned more about knitting, taking risks, being confident, than I had before it existed. Where I learned that my heart really lies in teaching - teaching knitting. I have missed working so dearly while on maternity leave these past few months. And now I won't work there again. It is heartbreaking. And while my close friendships will remain, and there will still be a knitting group somewhere else, all the people I knew as casual friends, and folks I saw every once in a while, will probably be gone. And that crushes me. I'm sure many of you can relate - the shop was a home for me. I was always comfortable there, from the first day I went in. I felt loved, welcomed, accepted. The Bug was showered with love, and gifts from these wonderful people. And to think that she won't grow up in that store breaks my heart. 
Tears are falling as I write this. And I know EZ said to knit on, through all crises. But what if the crisis is that I may run out of yarn to knit with? 

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Jenn, I am so sorry. I would be heartbroken if my LYS closed.

    I hope you and your friends can find a good coffeeshop to meet in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:37 PM

    It was bad enough that Simpatico closed...now another? Which store? I'm holding my breath that it's not my daughter's favorite Ft. Worth store (and I won't even say their name for fear of starting a false rumor).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:49 PM

    I know how you feel. I felt the same way when Simpatico closed. i felt like a part of me had died. YE was a wonderful shop and it's a shame it has to close. :( Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Jenn, I'm sorry. I totally understand. It is so hard for some shops to stay in business. We have lost a few as well. But like you said, the friendships will remain, and that is the most important thing!

    I hope you (and the wee one) are on the mend and feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so, so sorry to hear that, Jenn. *hug*

    Hopefully you and the Bug feel better quickly...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zimmerman is right - it's the stitches that will get you through this. I'm so sorry, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this bad news. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any thoughts of buying the shop to save it? Perhaps go in with someone else?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about your lys and refuge. Like you say, you have the great friends you've made and many great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and Kent need to take the plunge and buy it. Then the little sprout can tag along with you to work everyday. Think about it-time for change as Obama says

    ReplyDelete