Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Top Ten Ways to Avoid the Christmas Knitting

10. Play with the dog/cat. The animals miss you when you're out all hours of the day at school. They need extra attention.

9. Eat peppermint ice cream. Because it's only available for about a month, you have to eat enough to make up for the rest of the year.

8. Sleep. They are always going on about how we don't get enough sleep, so fit in some extra now!

7. Make to-do lists. I am the queen of the list. I may have even made some lists about next year/end of this year knitting stuff. Dork.

6. Finish decorating the house. It has to be done sometime, right? And while you're at it, you can clean out the garage and the storage closet.

5. Write Christmas cards. And order your stamps from the post office to be delivered with your mail. Greatest thing ever. Though going to the post office is another good way to avoid the knitting.

4. Grade papers. The end of the grading period is nigh, must get all of this done. Cleaning up and organizing the classroom are also good substitute should this get done. And there's always lesson plans for next semester!

3. Find new blogs to read. Especially on Saturday and Sunday when no one is posting, and the internets are boring to me.

2. Inventory the stash. Yup. Did this Sunday. A little bit scary. More on this later.

1. Do housework. You know its bad when you've taken this step. Every dish in the house is clean. The slipcovers and towels have been washed. All of the handknit socks are clean. Tomorrow I'm gearing up for sweeping and mopping, with baseboard washing and toilet scrubbing ready if I need extra avoidance time. More laundry to follow, with bathtub/shower scrubbing on deck. Yard work will fill in should housework get finished before the Christmas knitting is complete.

Sadly, I have partaken of each of these this weekend in an effort to avoid the knitting. And just what am I avoiding?


Another long sideways scarf, in more Patons Soy Wool Stripes, a second sock (pictures of the first sock tomorrow), an Odessa hat, and a green and yellow ribbed scarf for Hubbo's assistant teacher. There is more to knit, of course, but these things have my attention for the time being. I figure I have as long as it takes Amazon to get my package here for these to be done, as somethings have to be mailed from Amazon and from me. Sounds good, right? Should I be concerned that Amazon's estimated arrival date is December 23?

How do you avoid the knitting?

6 comments:

  1. Yikes, that's quite a bit of knitting you are avoiding!!! I was successfully avoiding my Christmas knitting by telling myself I still had plenty of time to finish it all. With less than two weeks to go, that's not really working for me anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:45 AM

    What a great post!! I only have one project to knit (but I'm making two of them, and the learning curve is high), yet I am doing most of the things on your list: house chores, work, decorating, and wrapping presents. Cards are done. I also started my cycling training early -- 1/2 hour on the bike every night to get some miles in for the spring group rides. To make it "fun," I just got these clipless pedals (where the shoes actually clip in to the pedals), and it's going to take an age to learn how to do them gracefully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:43 AM

    Get sucked into iTunes and burning CD mixes. Oh, and playing Weffriddles too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee hee - sounds like my list... All of my Amazon stuff arrived earlier than anticipated by about a week - except for one shipment which was suddenly changed to arrival after 12/28 - huh?! Oh no!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and when you finish your avoidance stuff at yourhouse, feel free to come over to mine to continue avoidance,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is too funny. I wish I had enough time to procrastinate - I might actually be able to clean my house!

    ReplyDelete