Monday, April 16, 2007

Project monogamy

I'm in deep. I can't stop thinking about it. I run to it when I get home. I nearly cried tonight when I had to put it down to finish up my grades that are due tomorrow.




Ahhhh, Surplice Lace. My sweet sweet love. I've completed the 8 repeats the pattern calls for, and my row gauge must be way off, since I'm at 20.5 cm and I'm supposed to be at 25 cm. So, one or two more repeats, just to ensure that my belly doesn't hang out. I know y'all don't wanna see that. It's a good thing I'm loving the lace pattern, as I still have to finish the front piece.
I don't mind the row gauge thing, but my gauge on this project has been frustrating overall. The pattern calls for a gauge over larger (US 6 4mm) needles in stockinette. But you never knit with the larger needles in stockinette. They are used only for the lace part of the sweater, and you switch to smaller needles (US 4 3.5 mm) for the top. So why did I swatch on 6s? And, of course, I didn't get gauge, so I did the maths to knit a larger size (to get a smaller size), and four repeats into the lace, confirmed what my gut had been telling me since the cast on - it was hyoooooooooouge. Rip - out it all came. It did give me a chance to re-do the cast on edge - long tail cast on with garter stitch immediately following ain't so pretty. Cable cast on is much better.

I wish I could stay home and knit on this all day.

16 comments:

  1. What a a beautiful pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:14 AM

    Wow- it's gorgeous! I'd want to stay home & knit on it all day too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:27 AM

    That looks fantastic so far! I'd be addicted too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking great! I wouldn't be able to put it down either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ripped and reknit?! What a trooper. And you're right, the cable cast-on is *perfect*. I predict this is going to be beyootiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My head hurts after that. Will it block longer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:27 AM

    That looks beautiful, I love the color you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:35 AM

    I can see why you are in love. That is a beautiful lace pattern. I know what you mean about wishing you could stay home all day and knit. I'm home most of the time but I'm studying and taking care of a 2 year old and working. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make me more anxious to start on mine -- but more worried -- gauge problems? Did I buy enough yarn if I have to tweak the pattern?

    Ah, but it's SO pretty already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:25 PM

    That is beautiful! I don't blame you, I would want to stay home and knit this all day, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! I love the color, and the pattern is gorgeous. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! I wouldn't want to put it down either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:52 PM

    *cough* sick day *cough*

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's really, really pretty. I wonder where you got the pattern? You have the most gorgeous knitting projects on your blog, and I feel like I'm always bugging you for "where did you get that pattern!" Sorry! However, it is absolutely lovely. I can see why your so obsessed with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw a sample of this in a yarn shop in Madison, and it was just as gorgeous as you say. Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete