Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Finito!

Hourglass is finished! Woo Hoo!


Pattern: Hourglass sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Yarn: Knitpicks Andean Silk in Orange - just a smidge over 11 skeins
Needles: Sz US7 Clover Bamboo Circulars and DPNs
Dates: Early January - April 9 (mostly only knit during "24," until I decided I wanted it done the last week of March and I worked on it when I wasn't watching "24.")
Mods: I omitted on set of bust increases to make it more fitted. I also did fewer decrease rounds in the yoke (more on this later).

Thoughts: I love the yarn. Lovelovelove. The color, the drape, the way it feels. Love. The pattern is equally wonderful. Nice and mindless - sometimes so nice. The sleeves went surprisingly fast, and I love the circular construction.

I accidentally didn't do as many decrease rounds in the yoke. When I tried it on (when I ran out of yarn) it seemed to fit very well. Unfortunately, the resident idiot knitter didn't realize that the needle still being in the sweater affected the fit. Idiot. However, it does stay on my shoulders (barely) and doesn't bother me too terribly much (I do worry a bit about my bra strap hanging out, but I'll get over it).


I was very nervous about sewing down the hem on the neckline (I knit down the hems on the sleeves and the bottom). However, the directions in the pattern are excellent. I didn't run a length of cotton yarn through the purl stitches (to mark the row you are sewing to), as recommended. I did, however, put the live stitches on waste yarn, so that it wouldn't be so fiddly during the sewing down part - this was a lifesaver. It was surprisingly easy to sew down the hem, and I won't be intimidated again!

My final verdict? Go knit yourself one - I plan to have another in my wardrobe sometime soon!

15 comments:

  1. Really pretty. The neckline looks nice more "open". If it turns out your straps migrate out, you can always sew little ribbons with snaps on the shoulders (some nicer ready-made clothes have this) - or adopt the attitude of some younger (than me) women & act like they're supposed to show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous color on you. Really came out nice. I'll have to get more of that Andean silk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:12 AM

    Your Hourglass is beautiful, Jenn! I'm thrilled to hear you like the Andean Silk - I have a sweater's worth of it in "Slate" that I haven't dipped into yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I love the color too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're right -- I'm going to have to knit this one. I love the color and the silk hangs very nicely.

    GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love. It. The color and fit are great. I just sewed a hem down leaving the stitches on a needle instead of putting on waste yarn. What a pain. You're right: the waste yarn is a lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous! I know I love mine, too. I added MORE decreases because I'd read that the neck was really open as written. And I picked up stitches from the inside of the sweater and did a 3-needle bind off instead of sewing down the neckline - I'm lazy that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really nice. I've got one of these on my list of things to knit, but, sadly, there are quite a few things ahead of it. I love the way this hangs on you and the color is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hourglass turned out fabulous! Love the color as well. And thanks for the yarn recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! It's definitely on my "to knit" list. I may have to bump it up the list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks gorgeous Jen!Love the color.I say wear a strapless bra and go all Flashdance like when you were a teen.You know you want to!LOL!(I project onto others what I would do.Can you tell?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very pretty! Color, neckline, drape. Congrats!
    ...are you wearing it to the YE sale? lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mucho fantastico! (That's my extremelly fluent Spanish for "extremely fantastic")

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks lovely! And glad to hear it was easy to sew down the hem. I'm about to face that as well, and I usually knit mine down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:43 PM

    YAY! It looks so good on you!!

    I really want to make one someday.

    ReplyDelete