Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Elongated Cables Scarf

Just in time for it to be almost 90 out today - I finished my alpaca scarf!


Pattern: Mine
Yarn: Alpaca with a Twist Baby Twist (DK weight), 3 entire balls
Needles: Sz US 6 Clover Bamboo (4mm)
Mods: n/a
Thoughts: It is grey. And yummy. And cabled. And warm. I love it, even though it will be a good 7-8 months before I have any use for it. I really like the relative skinniness of the finished product (don't have much need for big bulky scarves in Texas!) and the long stretchy cables.





Just for kicks - the pattern!
Yarn: Any DK/Sport weight yarn - approx 330 yds.
Needles: Sz 4mm (US 6)
Gauge is not crucial.





Slipping the first stitch on every row allows for a clean edge.

Set up rows:
Set up rows 1 & 3: Sl 1, K5, P4, K8, P4, K4, P4, K8, P4, K6
Set up rows 2 & 4: Sl 1, P5, K4, P8, K4, P4, K4, P8, K4, P6


Cable Pattern:
Row 1: Sl 1, K5, P4, C8F, P4, K4, P4, C8F, P4, K6
Row 2 and all even rows: Sl 1, P5, K4, P8, K4, P4, K4, P8, K4, P6
Rows 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 15: Sl 1, K5, P4, K8, P4, K4, P4, K8, P4, K6

CO 48 stitches. Work set up rows (4 rows).
Begin Cable Pattern.
Repeat Cable Pattern 20 times.
Repeat Rows 1-3 of Cable Pattern again. BO loosely in pattern. Block if desired. Wear proudly, and be the envy of all!

10 comments:

  1. That looks VERY soft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:13 AM

    That is a beautiful classic scarf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great scarf - and thanks for writing up the pattern. I always seem to finish heavy garments in the summer and light garments in the winter too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really cool - thanks for the pattern! You could drop by here and wear it - it's 19F right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That soft alpaca will feel so soft against your neck next winter. Very classic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 90? May I please move to Texas with you? It's a whopping 38F here today, and rainy. Maybe if I knit something in heavy wool, it will warm up?

    I'm sorry to hear about the yarn shortage with Hourglass. Hopefully it will ship soon. It looks great so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice scarf, and I like your hourglass sweater, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, spring. I finished my Pullover Flair just in time for 80 degree weather. But we're having a cold bit this weekend, so I hope to give it a wear before packing it away into the attic for the winter. So... are you going to re-post that lovely scarf pattern in October??

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scarf looks very pretty i grey. I love cables.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:33 AM

    It's beautiful. Great job.

    ReplyDelete