Wednesday, April 19, 2006

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

With apologies to Dr. Seuss.


Pattern: Pomatomus from Knitty by Cookie A.
Yarn: Schafer Anne, color 6F (see a picture of it in the hank here), from Little Knits (and can we just pause for a moment and go look at the Fleece Artist Sock Yarn? Go, I'll wait. OK, back?) Love this yarn!
Needles: I started on my Susan Bates Sz 2 DPNs, but when I got my Inox needles from Webs, I decided to try those (due to their super-pointiness). I know you're not supposed to switch mid-project, but I can discern NO difference). I really liked the point of the Inoxes, but they were a *bit* too long for my liking. I think I'll save them for lacy patterns.
Time: Started mid-March, finished Wednesday, April 19.
Mods: None!
Thoughts: See Margene's post about her troubles - I had many of the same ones. I really like the pattern, and it went really fast (when I worked on it!), but the chart for the foot pattern (due to the plain stockinette on the bottom) kept me on my toes! I really like the twisted rib, and see more of it in my future. The toes are too pointy for me, but they are what the pattern called for - I hope they're OK for my pal! (And yes, my pal has bigger feet than I do!) I'm worried that my sock pal won't like the colors, as the yarn has a lot more brown in it than I saw in the pictures when I ordered it. But it is pretty yummy! And the best part is that I have enough left over for footies for me!
Screaming from the stash: That yummy Vepser sock yarn. Must.Not.Cast.On.New.Sock.


Why did this sneak up on you? Because after the last time I blogged about it (and ripped it all out), I was wary of a curse, so it's been "secret" knitting. I am so excited to have this done! A whole sock in less than a week! I realize for some of you that's nothing, but I did do other knitting and crafting (and worked), so for me that's huge. They will take a lovely bath in the morning and be left to dry during the day. I hope to put together the finishing touches on my package tomorrow night and send it off! Woo Hoo!

For more information on bluefish, go here.

My photographer got a bit carried away:
Me: Why are you taking a picture of the bottom of my sock?
Him: Because no one ever takes pictures of the bottom of socks!



And it's not quite the fake leg shot, but here's my "leg up in the air" pose.


I have to say this, and I want you to know that I'm not being critical IN ANY WAY of Alison, or her work for this amazing sock exchange (I love to tell people that I'm knitting a sock for a stranger who lives overseas! I get great reactions!), but I feel a bit disconected from the whole experience this time around. I think part of that is due to the sheer size of the event (over 600! knitters!), and because I've been busier this year. But last year I found many of my dearly beloved bloggers through the sock updates, and this year I've barely read them. (And I have to say that last year I spent WAY too much time cruising the blogs trying to figure out who was making socks for me (I had some specifications) and never figured it out. This year I had no specifications, so it'll be a total surprise!). Perhaps next time a community blog (like the Holiday Gift KAL) would be better - people could post their own progress and do it whenever they wanted. Seems like that'd be less work for Alison too! Just spoutin' here - all this to say that I can't wait for my socks! :) It's funny how you knit and knit and knit, and then it occurs to you (several weeks later!) that someone is doing this for you too, and wonderful socks are coming your way! I love to stalk me a mailbox! :) When is Sockapal4za?

7 comments:

  1. So pretty.. the toes do look a bit pointy though but I guess that's how most socks are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Provocative thoughts about the KAL aspect. Honestly, it never occurred to me to do more that look at the updates. There are fewer blogs out there that I like than don't like, and I find the best way to find the ones I like is from other blogs I like. Plus, it seems like an astounding amount of work for Alison. But I can't wait to see what I get, and I think I'll be sending off some great socks. (Um, yeah, once I finish them.)

    Yours look fabulous, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The socks are so cute. I really want socks in that pattern but whenever I look at it I feel like it's just too hard and too much work. So strange but I just can't even think of doing anything at all fancy with socks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:59 AM

    gorgeous socks! I love the colorway (mmm Schaefer Anne).

    I didn't participate in the last two sockapalooozas (the first one I wasn't knitting yet -- only crochet, the second one I was running a crocheted sock swap and decided I couldn't do both), but through both I discovered tons of blogs and sock patterns that I wouldn't have otherwise.

    I looked forward to every Tuesday update... this time I haven't had the time to go through every single blog update posted, and I feel a little weird. So I understand what you're saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, your socks are absolutely fab! Love them in that colour. Your pal will be thrilled. Oh and a sock in a week...totally impressive. My last sock took nearly four months! Heehee ;0)b

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:44 AM

    So pretty! I love littleknits :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely socks! I've made one pair of these so far. Looking forward to making another!

    ReplyDelete