Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Long(er) post

For Jen - I promised her a long post, so here goes!

First, some knitting content!

The Man's stocking, it is done!


Knitty Gritty:

Pattern: Mine, using Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns for socks.
Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Ranch Red and Green
Needles: Clover Bamboo US 8 DPNs
Dates: Started Tuesday November 22, finished November 30.
Mods: I cast on 60 stitches and then followed Budd's instructions for a 60 st sock. I did not do as many rows on the heel flap as called for, and I regret it now. I think it makes the stocking look a bit funky. I did ten row stripes and just knit until it seemed the "right" size.
Thoughts: Most are up there with the mods. I do love the wool-ease though - knits up so nicely but is machine washable! I'm not thrilled with the stocking, mostly because of the heel, but I'm leaving it alone for now, and if The Man doesn't like it I'll knit him a new one next year!

And The Man's hat is done! Pre and post felting pics.



Knitty Gritty:

Pattern: Mine, using the Fisherman's Hat from the Knitting Pattern a Day Calendar for a guideline. The Man specified the stripe pattern.
Yarn: Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Winter Night, Grass and Daffodil.
Needles: Clover Bamboo US 10.5 DPNs
Mods: I cast on the same number of stitches as the pattern called for, but used larger needles. I knit the bottom in green until I had 25g left (had to get out the trusty scale The Man had to register for last year - I think I've used it more for knitting than he has for cooking!), then started his stripe pattern. I had to modify the given stripe pattern, as he wrote it for a non-felted hat then decided he wanted it felted - improv time! There are skinny little green stripes between the yellow and blue, but they are very hard to see. I did decrease a bit more rapidly than the pattern called for, but I was afraid I would run out of green yarn - of course, I have a bit left over now, but c'est la vie. I had to run it through the machine twice, as the first time it only seemed to felt lengthwise, not in width. It is better now.
Thoughts: It needs to be longer next time. The decreases make the top stripe look wavy. I'm not sure I'd ever want a felted hat - I think it's not quite the same as having a snug-fitting hat.

It is still wet, (over 24 hours after felting) so no modeled pics. I had to hide it in the garage for a bit yesterday and now it is hiding behind some fiber-fill under the craft table in the study. I think he may have seen it, but I'm crossing my fingers that it is still a surprise.

I cast on for a new project today!


This is the back of Pasha. I'm about to cast off the black and start the white belly. It is a top secret knit of course, so I have to hide it from the kids.

WARNING: RAMBLING AND SOME NON-KNITTING CONTENT TO FOLLOW. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

Things I've been thinking:
*I had to watch this ass clown on the Today Show this morning. This s*it pisses me off. Why don't we give people more reason to hate the US? OK!

*Great blog! Go check it out!

*Woo hoo! I can take my scissors on the airplanes now!

*The damn Ferrero Rocher commercials make my dogs bark! You know, the ones with the doorbell.

*Bored at work? Need an excuse to not clean the house? Go here and test your skills. Warning - may be addicting.

I have more to say but I really want to sleep now, and frankly, I have to have something to talk about tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about making pasha.... I'll be watching your progress! ooooo that sounds ominous! :)

    As for the sock, try ironing the stocking between some towels so the heel lays flat, you may like it better then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also been thinking of making Pahsa. Love the hat!

    ReplyDelete