Saturday, November 12, 2005

Hat Day!

Look ma! Pictures! I really do still knit!

I'm slowly but surely making my way through that list. I don't think I'll be done by Friday, but it'll be close. Sadly, there are things that were not on the first list that have since been added, but I'll save that for another post!

Today is hat day:

Funky blue/green hat:

Green hat:

Both of these hats used the same pattern: Seaman's Cap from the Knitting Pattern-a-Day calendar, September 15, 2005. (P.S. If anyone needs another gift idea for me, I'd love this years!) I'll try to take a picture of the little boy in the picture for y'all to enjoy - it's a bit scary.....

This is the pattern I was going to use for the black hat, but it seemed that the pattern wouldn't make a hat big enough for an adult (I have since learned to read, and resolved this issue). So I tried a hat with Ann Budd's pattern from Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. Well....I really wish I had a picture for you, but it was SO bad it had to be immediately frogged. I cast on too many stitches (my gauge was 5.5 spi, and the book doesn't tell you specifically enough what to do when you have that situation. I rounded up to 6, bad idea. WAY too big). I also was sick of knitting the black hat and just decreased when I felt like it was long enough, not when the pattern said to, and it ended up just sitting on top of my head (what with the it being too big and all).

But, when I went back to the first pattern and READ it, I found that, why yes, the pattern IS sized for adults. And though it seemed to take FOREVER (just a day in reality) it turned out great. It's snug, without being tight, you can fold the brim up, or pull it down over your ears - I want one for me!

Knitty Gritty:
Pattern: Seaman's Cap from Knitting Pattern a Day September 15, 2005
Yarn: Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Bluebonnet and Evergreen
Needles: Clover US 7 16" circ and DPN's
Dates: Blue - Friday November 4-Saturday 5, Green Sunday November 6
Mods: NONE!

I have two more of these to make, (one the ill-fated black hat) and I casted on for the third tonight.

Blue Hat 1 Take 2:

Finally! I finished up this baby today.

Pattern: Basic Cable from SnB Nation
Yarn: Paton's Classic Merino
Needles: Clover US 8 DPNs
Dates: Sometime last week (cast on and ribbing) to Saturday November 11
Mods: I added two sections of cable and two pattern repeats. It's a little big, but not really noticeable. The length is good.

More excitement tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. It looks like I've missed a lot of posts- so sorry about that! Your hats look fantastic!! The stitch definition looks awesome and great job on the cabling. They all fit really well, too. Not to mention how fast you cranked them out! And input from Bonne Marie (!!!) is like divine intervention. You just squeal and obey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Awesome hats! I love them! I may have to get SnB Nation just for that cable hat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenn! Great Hats! I LOVE TEXAS - want to visit soon - thanks for being the very first person to visit the Frappr! map @ChicKnits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenn! I've been over here before. This time I followed your link to my Frappr! map. I haven't yet seen a knit made out of any of the calander patterns. The hat looks great. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all look so cozy and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your hat, need to add this pattern to the "to be knit" list. I have the book but this pattern never really appealed to me in the book, thanks for letting me see how wonderful it truely is.

    ReplyDelete