Friday, January 25, 2013

Sampler Quilt

When I joined my local Modern Quilt Guild last spring, they were in the midst of working through the Sew Mama Sew Modern Block of the Month. I decided that I needed to join in and grabbed some Kona solids one day to use. (I didn't realize until I got home that they were sort of Mardi Gras colors - totally unintentional). I started doing the blocks in order, and quickly found some frustrations. I didn't like all the tiny cutting for each block - it was difficult to do from yardage of the fabric. Also, one of the first blocks is an improv block, and I have not had a lot of experience doing that. I also am a big lover of geometry, symmetry and clean lines - so this block made me twitch a bit!

I stalled out for a while, but was determined to finish (I can have 20 million knitting projects, but don't like lingering sewing projects - I'm strange).  I thought it would go well in my brother and sister-in-law's living room, and they like modern and vintage things.

sms sampler

I sashed the blocks with Kona White and used the leftover yardage of the gold and purple for the backing (I bought two yards of each color and I still have leftovers!) This was one I was glad to be finished with! I did enjoy some of the individual blocks and may make them again for different projects. Also, if I had really done one block a month, instead of four or five at a time, I might have enjoyed the process more!

No comments:

Post a Comment