Thursday, August 02, 2012

Going for a ride in my car, car, car

We're off on a roadtrip for a family vacation. I'm excited that the 5 cousins will all get to play together for more than an hour or so, and I'm looking forward to lots of good beer, playing games and relaxing with family I don't get to see enough.

But packing for a family of five is tough. Packing to go somewhere were there are not amenities we are used to (like cribs and high chairs and TOYS!) is tougher. I have been worried about how to pack toys in a way that won't leave stuff all over the car, or lost in the rental house. I had joked to hubby about a week ago about how I should make drawstring bags to put the toys in. He looked at me like I was crazy (in all honesty, I was working on three quilts at once, and knitting class samples), and I shelved the idea. But as we got closer to packing time, I decided that we had to have them. I figure I'll also use them when we're hanging out at ballet and soccer practice this fall, so they are a good investment! (And when we go visit the grandparents for Thanksgiving in November!)

Toy bags

I used Jeni's amazing pattern and was able to whip up four of these during naptime. I deliberately used 'kid' fabrics from my stash, and even went so far as to use car fabric for toy cars and animal fabric for our collection of plastic animals. (I love being literal, and it helps the kids know how to clean up!).

Balls drawstring bag

I used red gingham (leftover from Samantha's farm party tablecloths) for the lining of all the bags (since I have yards of it!), and shopped the stash for the other fabrics. I love that I made something from 'nothing' since I already had all of these fabrics in my stash! I usually buy fabric with a specific plan for it, so it's nice to use up leftovers (and yes, some fabric changes purposes the longer it sits!).

Kids drawstring bag

These turned out the perfect size to pack just enough toys for our trip. I can't wait to make more! I think they would be great for 'wrapping' birthday and Christmas presents! And I could make them match the gift.....oh the wheels are turning! :)

Cars drawstring bag

Jeni's pattern is free, but she has an additional pattern for sale, that features many different sizes.

Animal drawstring bag


No comments:

Post a Comment