Friday, March 30, 2012

I Spy Quilts

One of my mom's good friends is a long-time quilter. Mom talked to her about me starting quilting and I told her that I was looking for some scraps to make i-spy quilts. She was super generous and gave me a big bag of pre-cut squares! I decided to make mine simple patchwork (these were some of the first quilts I made, so I didn't want them to be too complicated!). I wanted to make two that first Christmas, so I chose 64 squares for the first quilt and 70 for the second. I tried to not repeat themes/animals/etc.

I Spy quilt 2

I added a red border, backed them with red cotton and bound them. I quilted in the ditch on these to not interfere with the pictures.

I Spy quilt 1

This past Christmas I made another for my nephew. This one measures 10x8 squares and doesn't have a border. My stash of gifted fabrics was low (after two other quilts!), so I used a bunch of my scraps.

I spy quilt

For this quilt I used fold-over binding. I quilted 1/4" on each side of each seam and when I trimmed the quilt I left about 1.5" of backing around each side. I folded the edge in and ironed a crease. Then I sewed the binding down very close to the edge on the front of the quilt. It worked pretty well!

I really enjoy making these, but I'm going to need to build back up my stash of cute fabrics - it is seriously low!

1 comment: