Friday, March 23, 2012

Color books

Our local Borders went out of business a few months ago, and I stopped by during their going-out-of-business sale, and perused the magazine section. I picked up a copy of 101 Patchwork Gifts, and enjoyed looking through it when I didn't have brain cells for several weeks (twin infants=brain dead).
These cute color books popped out at me. I knew they would be a lot of work (16 squares for each color, 8 colors=128 squares per book), but cute!

color book

I pulled out all my scraps that I could get at least a 2.5" square out of, and sorted them by color. Then I grabbed full pieces of fabric that I needed to fill in colors that were low on numbers. I tried to batch cut them as much as possible, since I was planning to make four books (512 squares!).

color book

I think cutting the squares took longer than sewing them together!

color book

I sewed the pages together in sets of two, put batting in the middle, sewed them rights sides together, turned them right side out and topstitched around each edge.

color book

I used small pieces of fabric (mostly remnants - again with the remnant problem!) for the covers.

color book

Four books later and I had gifts for the small kiddos in our lives for Christmas! They are kind of I-spy books too, which I really like.

color books

No comments:

Post a Comment