Thursday, June 22, 2006

Early morning Treks

So the Trekking 100 sock and I have been up early lately, taking our walks before it gets too hot out. This week we were out early enough to watch the sun come up over downtown.




(Damn it's hard to take pictures of the sun!)

I can't tell you how much I love that this view is from my neighborhood. Unfortunately, I can't afford to live where I could wake up to this every day unless I was out walking. (Yes, we live on the "cheap" side of the neighborhood).

Sadly, our walks have stopped for a bit. I've been running most mornings and I really can't knit and run (sadly). But the running is good. I can feel myself getting stronger. I can run further each day between walking breaks than I could the day before. I'm loving it. Mostly I'm enjoying the chance to be alone, just me and the pavement and my ipod. I know there was some Nike ad a few years back about running and the road, and this is it for me.

I don't know what my weight has grown to (and I don't want to know, as it might depress me so much that I might never run again), so I've decided to set another measure of success for myself. I'm going to measure myself at key areas (tummy, hips, thighs), and hope to lose inches.

I've also decided I need a little reward. I've got several skirts that are just a bit too tight, or that I can't quite pull the zipper up in. I really want to be able to wear these again. So I'm going to pick one, and when it fits, I get a present! What present you ask? Well, yarn, of course, but not just any yarn. I've got a swell running partner, and he has asked to be included. So my prize to myself is a skein of Socks that Rock in Prove it All Night*. Bruce's request.

My socks are looking forward to their trip to Colorado that is rapidly approaching, where they will do lots of trekking to make up for their lack of such right now. Oh, and I'm going to have to pack the running shoes now. Can't lose my motivation!

*Provided of course, that I can find any by the time I get to my goal!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:39 AM

    What a beautiful view! That must be a nice motivation for getting up so early. And yarn is definitely a good reward for all your hard work!

    Please send some of that heat up here to New England. It doesn't feel like summer yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yarn sounds like awesome motivation for weight loss. Let us know if it works...I would love to try that!!! :)
    Your socks are coming along...and your scenery must have looked just lovely in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your blog and it sounds like you live close by. I knit with friends on Tuesdays, alternately in Arlington and Fort Worth (Forrest Hill actually). Want to meet us?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for running and rewarding yourself with sock yarn! I have been meaning to get back to running for ages, and I think you might just have helped inspire me...

    ReplyDelete