This was the first quilt that I actually calculated how big of a quilt I could make with the amount of fabric I had. I knew I wanted to do zig zags, and I wanted some sort of color pattern. I actually drew out the pattern and did the math for all this on the plane on the way home from visiting my sister and her new baby in the summer of 2010. I cut all the fabric that summer, and marked my sewing lines, and then it sat while I worked on gift quilts that fall and winter, and then massive amounts of baby knits and quilts the following spring. And this summer when I wanted to sew, but didn't want to think too hard, I pulled out the squares and got to sewing. But it wasn't a priority when I had other gifts to work on, so when everything else was done for Christmas, I pulled out those squares and joined them into rows and was able to get it finished in time for Christmas gifting.
The only thing I wish I had done differently was make all those stripes go the same direction! :) But it fits great on Samantha's bed and I really like how it turned out. I quilted on either side of each zig zag line, which was a bit of a pain in the butt, but again, I like the way it looks. I also used light grey thread, which was a bit unusual for me (usually I use white, but every once in a while I'll grab a non-white color for quilting). I did a scrappy binding, as I was trying to avoid another trip to the store the week before Christmas. :)